Although Queen Victoria certainly brought mourning to an art form, many aspects of funerals and mourning of the period had already come into existence prior to Prince Albert's death, such as watching and recording a loved one's demise. What was it about this particular time and place in history that elevated death to a special place? Why is it no longer this way?
Join Christine Trent, author of the Lady of Ashes series (about a Victorian undertaker), as well as the author of the new Florence Nightingale Mysteries, as she considers these questions. She will also walk through a typical Victorian funeral and explore the role of the undertaker in Victorian society.
Aspiring writer? Established, but stuck and struggling? Got great ideas, but no discipline? This class will demystify and deconstruct the novel-writing process from beginning to end (with a nod to that all-important step: procrastination!).
• How to transform ideas into reality
• How to tap into your subconscious and life experiences to
transform them into a book-length project
• Techniques to stay organized when creativity gets chaotic
• How to populate your story with interesting characters,
a twisty-turny plot, and snappy dialogue
• Strategies for finding an agent and marketing the finished product
• How to face your writing and marketing fears
The class includes a writing exercise. You'll come away from our time together prepared to begin work on a novel and equipped with the confidence to perfect it.