From Novice to Novelist:
How to Write a Novel
with Featured Author John DeDakis
Aspiring writer? Established, but stuck and struggling? Got great ideas, but no discipline? This class will demystify and deconstruct the novel-writing process from beginning to end (with a nod to that all-important step: procrastination!).
• How to transform ideas into reality
• How to tap into your subconscious and life experiences to transform them into
a book-length project
• Techniques to stay organized when creativity gets chaotic
• How to populate your story with interesting characters, a twisty-turny plot,
and snappy dialogue
• Strategies for finding an agent and marketing the finished product
• How to face your writing and marketing fears
The class includes a writing exercise. You'll come away from our time together prepared to begin work on a novel and equipped with the confidence to
John DeDakis is a writing coach, manuscript editor, and writing workshop leader. He has taught journalism at the University of Maryland – College Park, and regularly teaches novel writing at The Writer’s Center in Bethesda, Maryland, and at the Politics & Prose Bookstore in Washington, D.C.
He is currently at work on his sixth novel, and his memoir.
You Wrote Your Novel, Now What?
Publishing World Options
with Featured Author Ellen Butler
The publishing industry has changed drastically in the past decade, and it continues to evolve. This workshop discusses an author's options, from Traditional to Small Press to Indie Publishing. Highlights will include:
• Pros and cons of each option
• What you can expect in your quest to obtain a Traditional contract vs. Small
Press (research, time investment, handling rejection, etc.)
• Short overview of getting an agent (how and where to search,
what they are looking for, etc.)
• Going Indie - what you can expect (covers, formatting, editing, and costs
associated; the importance of Amazon and other avenues you can use for
distribution and obtaining hard copies is also discussed)
• Marketing - every author MUST market no matter which publishing track you
take. In order to achieve success, you need to decide if you can make an
investment of money or your time to get results)
• The importance of creating your own "Brand," from your social media to
If there is enough time, we will discuss running ads on social media and Amazon.
Ellen Butler is a hybrid author, who has won awards for both her traditionally and indie published novels including: The Romance Reviews Readers' Choice Award, First Runner Up for the InD'tale RONE award, and a finalist multiple times for the Chanticleer Chatelaine Award. Last year, she was awarded the Indie Reader Discovery Award for historical fiction at BEA BookCon in
New York City.